lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: how newer documents have a better score
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2005 06:10:09 GMT

: Hi, can anyone give me some pointers on making newer documents have a
: better ranking/score? i.e. documents i indexed today have a higher
: ranking/score in the index than documents that were index yesterday etc

This topic has come up more then once in the past, a good starting point
at an approximation can be found here...

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-java-user/200501.mbox/%3cPine.LNX.4.58.0501101749580.4623@hal.rescomp.berkeley.edu%3e

...but there is new a new "FunctionQuery" class in Jira that will allow
for much better way to do this.  In a nut shell: you create a
FunctionQuery object on your (indexed) date field, and add it as an
optional clause to a Boolean query that contains at least one required
clause, and the function provides a score for every doc based on the value
of it's date field.

the code in Jira right now should work as is -- but I believe Yonik has
allready completely rewriten the API to make more sense, so if you wait a
few days it might be easier to use...

-Hoss