lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Memory Usage
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 02:27:30 GMT

: I think though, that I will need a setter on the reader, rather than the
: writer.  That is, I don't know what factor we want until I know how
: large the index is.  And I don't know how large the index will be at the
: time of creating the writer, but I can just ask for maxDoc() at the time
: of opening the reader.

I believe if you really want to determine settings like this after
building the index, you'll need to do an initial build the index using
best guess values -- then if the calculations you do once the index is
built aren't close enough to your guesses to satisfy you, change the value
and optimize.

>From what i remember about how optimize works, it creates all new segments
regardless of the previous state of the index -- and those new segments
should use the newly set values.

-Hoss