lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: lock file race conditions
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2005 19:42:49 GMT

1) how do you simulate the exception?
2) you didn't say you got a lock timeout error, you said you got a
   "couldnt delete the lock file" exception ... is your second test
   forcably trying to unlock the index?
3) are you running this test on a windows machine?
4) can you post your unit test?

If i had to guess...

You probably aren't closing the writer in your first
test (as a result of the exception) so the write lock it has open isn't
being released untill the GC calls the finalize() method on that object.

When the tests run normally, the lag for GC is great enough that the lock
file cannot be removed becuase windows won't let you remove a file that is
open.   When you run in the debugger, the pause because of the breakpoint
gives the JVM a chance to call the finalize method.