lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From John Powers <jpow...@configureone.com>
Subject Re: Items in multiple category: distinct search?
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2005 20:42:54 GMT
I got the category thing to work.  I'm using a string "category" that looks
like:

Cat1[980455981]{4}|SubCatA[980456122]{1}|

Then I can search by id, name and when I get a result list I can put them in
sequence (the soft bracket number)

However, my problem now is distinct...   I want to put items in multiple
categories..   That works fine.  But if I query lucene, then I get back not
the one thing I want, but the 5 duplicates because as far as lucene is
concerned I guess those are 5 line items in the index.   I could put a flag
in there that says one of them is the primary instance and so then I only
search with that as a query..  But I don't want to do that.   I would like
to just filter out by itemID or something like that any dups...

I could just dump all the items into a List or something that only accepts
new unused items..  But I'd rather use a lucene solution...