lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From John Powers <jpow...@configureone.com>
Subject Items in multiple category: distinct search?
Date Tue, 15 Nov 2005 15:45:40 GMT
Hello,  I have done a search for this issue, but I didnt really see an
answer.

if i want to store things in a hierarchy, but i want items to be in multiple
categories at any level.   i'd like to be able to search for an item and
only show it once, but maybe (not required) show what categories the results
are in.    but if i look in a category (search on that category) then i want
to see that item there obviously only the once that it is there.

so i've got the hierarchy part..but its getting items to be in multiple
categories.   i can put them there as duplicate entries of that itemNumber,
however when i search i dont want to get back the 7 times that one item is
used..  i dont mind if its in 7 categories and they each show one usage, but
i'd like for my total hit count to reflect just that this item exists
once...   i could iterate through the whole Hits list and put them into a
unique result list, but i'd like lucene to do that for me.    any way to do
that?   custom filter?    i've looked at the query language..i didnt see a
"distinct" clause...

any help is greatly appreciated.