lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Ian Soboroff <ian.sobor...@nist.gov>
Subject Re: Vector Model and Relevance Feedback
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2005 14:26:59 GMT
Stefan Gusenbauer <stefan.gusenbauer@kbse.net> writes:

> Is there an add on for lucene to get a real vector representation?
> Does anyone has experiences with this issue?

No code, but some small thinking.  You can do hacks with boosts and
whatnot, but I think in the end you really want a new Query subclass
(and the other machinery to make that work).

I've seen some of the boost hacks, and, ok, Rocchio is something of a
hack (at least the way it's usually done), but adding a hack to a hack
is just too much.  Next, some joker is going to come along and want to
to probabilistic LSI or language models and then you're up the creek
;-)

I have a code infrastructure to handle nearly any VSM-style retrieval
function (including Okapi BM25), but it's waiting for the low-level
VSM query structure to make it worthwhile.  If someone starts work in
this area, I'd love to help out to the extent I can.

Ian