lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From jian chen <chenjian1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Urgent - File Lock in Lucene 1.2
Date Mon, 21 Nov 2005 17:37:37 GMT
Hi, Karl,

Therer have been quite some discussions regarding the "too many open files"
problem. From my understanding, it is due to Lucene trying to open multiple
segments at the same time (during search/merging segments), and the
operating system wouldn't allow opening that many file handles.

If you have a lot of fields, each will have its own file (set of files,
maybe? I couldn't remember). This could cause the above issue.

The way to fix this, is to combine all the files for each segment into one
physical file. When the physical file is open, multiple streams will be read
from the physical file. This fix went into Lucene 1.4 I think but not
available for Lucene 1.2.

Currently I am trying to find some spare time so that I could port the
compound file format (.cfs) feature from Lucene 1.4 to Lucene 1.2.

Hope this information could help you.

Cheers,

Jian