lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: Analysis
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2005 20:53:42 GMT

On 1 Nov 2005, at 11:02, Malcolm wrote:

> Hi,
> I've been reading my new project bible 'Lucene in Action'

Amen!   ;)

> about Analysis in Chapter 4 and wondered what others are doing for
> indexing XML(if anyone else is, that is!).
> Are you folks just writing your own or utilising the current Lucene
> analysis libraries?

Analyzers are at a per-field granularity, and more than likely your
XML data contains what you would want treated as multiple fields.  So
while an analyzer _could_ directly deal with XML, it really is
unlikely to be the appropriate layer to do so.   The majority of
scenarios would have XML parsed separately and then the individual
separated text fed to Lucene fields for analysis.

     Erik