lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Rodenburg <jeff.rodenb...@gmail.com>
Subject High CPU utilization with sort
Date Sun, 20 Nov 2005 21:27:38 GMT
I've read many comments from users on the list indicating that sorting
may/will be performance-heavy. Is high CPU utilization with a sorted search
one of the expected performance hits?

In tests for our implementation (25 concurrent connections generating
search/sort requests), we've seen performance in terms of requests/second
drop by a factor of 10, compared to similar tests executing only search
requests (no sorts). CPU appears to be our bottleneck, and I'm trying to
determine if this is expected behavior or if we're outside the bounds of
typical performance.

Thanks,
jeff