lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <dan...@nuix.com.au>
Date Mon, 28 Nov 2005 01:19:42 GMT
While writing a simple stress testing exercise, I came across the
strange condition that the IndexReader locks the index even though it's
only supposed to be reading.

Now, I understand that IndexReader can in fact modify the index (no
matter how unintuitive that is) but it seems to me that a lockfile
stored on the local machine doesn't protect against modification by
someone on another machine anyway.

So it seems that either:
    1. it shouldn't bother locking at all, since it isn't protecting the
index from anything, or
    2. it should put its lockfile in the index directory itself, i.e. a
place where it will be seen by others who also intend to use the index.

But obviously there was some reason behind this choice, so it would be
good to know what it was before I go and modify our local copy to work
differently. :-)

Daniel

--
Daniel Noll