lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Memory Usage
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2005 20:59:35 GMT
Daniel Noll wrote:
> Timings were obtained by performing the same search 1,000 times and
> averaging the total time.  This was then performed five times in a row
> to get the range that's displayed below.  Memory usage was obtained
> using a 20-second sleep after loading the index, and then using the
> Windows task manager to see the memory usage 10 seconds into the sleep
> (the garbage collector tends to free up some memory during the first
> few seconds of the sleep.)
>
> Timings for a simple TermQuery on the term "one" (docFreq = 22):

I would be cautious about concluding too much from a single term, since
you may get lucky and pick a term that is close to the index point.
Rather you should average timings over a number of terms, randomly
ordered.  If you wish to remove i/o times, then don't time the first
iteration.  Does that make sense?

Doug