lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Noll <>
Subject Re: Memory Usage
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2005 05:36:32 GMT
Marvin Humphrey wrote:

> The formatting of the results turned up a little screwy in my email
> reader, so here's a reformatted version...

I noticed the same thing on Thunderbird, although viewing the source
showed that the original was okay, and KMail didn't seem to have the
same issue.  However, the quoting at the front of the table does appear
to fix the formatting. :-)

> I'm only passingly familiar with the
> package, so I'm not sure what could account for this; I would
> normally expect a more common term to take longer, as there are more
> docs to score.  Anybody got a expanation handy?

I was figuring that a term which exists in more documents would be
quicker to populate the initial hits for, but a term which has less than
the number of initial hits would take longer.  But you're right, that
doesn't sound like the behaviour of an index at all, it should be linear
until scoring enters into it.

I'm not sure how scoring affects all of this at the moment, though... we
actually performed the norms-removal hack on our copy of Lucene as well
(that reduced memory usage even more) before doing all of this testing
and I'm not sure whether that would affect the scoring also (it doesn't
have to read the norms in during the search, which must have made
searching faster overall as a side-effect.)

Daniel Noll

NUIX Pty Ltd
Level 8, 143 York Street, Sydney 2000
Phone: (02) 9283 9010