lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Sean O'Connor <s...@oconeco.com>
Subject Re: SpanQuery parser? Update (ugly hack inside...)
Date Fri, 04 Nov 2005 23:32:09 GMT
I'm posting this primarily hoping to give back a tiny bit to a very
helpful community. More likely however, someone else will open my eyes
to an easier approach than what I outline below...

I've come up with a very ugly conversion approach from regular Query
objects into SpanQuery objects. I then use the converted SpanQuery to
get span positions (currently both token #, and start/end position). In
effect, I have highlighting for simple queries with a very inefficient
approach (yea for me!).

The goal(s) I am trying to accomplish is rather specific I think, so I
imagine the use of my hacking is rather limited (i.e. just to me).

At the moment my code:

    * parses the search text (i.e. user entered query)
    * rewrites the resulting query to expand wildcards and such against
    * calls a recursive conversion function with very basic conversion
      understanding
          o TermQuery -> SpanTerm
          o PhraseQuery -> SpanNear
          o others in progress as time permits

Currently, I only process simple query strings like:
"blue green yellow" => SpanOrQuery
"luce* acti*" => SpanOrQuery with wild cards expanded
    e.g.: lucene lucent action acting ... all or'ed together in a
braindead fashion
"luce* acti* \"book rocks\"" => SpanOrQuery combining SpanTerms and
SpanNear (no slop)
    er, hopefully you get the picture, I'm not up to showing a vector of
this one... :-)

I would be happy to discuss my approach if there is anyone interested. I
assume I am pretty much alone in finding this ineffecient approach
useful. For me, it is the functionality that overrides perfomance
issues. I have something which can take user search strings and do hit
highlighting for the exact hit found. This is really only useful for
"termA near 'some phrase'" at the moment, but might become more advanced
in the next 2-3 months.

Sean