lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Michael D. Curtin" <m...@curtin.com>
Subject Re: Creating document fields by providing termvector directly (bypassing the analyzing/tokenizing stage)
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2005 16:07:00 GMT
Richard Jones wrote:

> The data i'm dealing with is stored over a few mysql dbs on different
> machines, horizontally partitioned so each user is assigned to a single db.
> The queries i'm doing can be done in SQL in parallel over all machines then
> combined, which i've tested - it's unacceptably slow :(
>
> There is rather a lot of data; each profile can contain in excess of 1000
> artists, and there are almost 1million profiles created. I'm only adding the
> top N artists for each user to a lucene index, which is fast and still yields
> good results (even with just the top 100 artists each).
>
> I think this could be done reasonably well with SQL in a DBMS like Oracle RAC
> or something like mysql cluster.. sadly the former doesnt scale financially,
> and the latter requires everything to be held in RAM .. which is why i'm
> using lucene.

If you're willing to continue subsetting / summarizing the data out into
Lucene, how about subsetting it out into a dedicated MySQL instance for
this purpose?  100 artists * 1M profiles * 2 ints * 4 bytes/int =
roughly 1 GB of data, which would easily fit into RAM.  Queries should
be pretty fast off of that.  Good luck!

--MDC