lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Michael D. Curtin" <m...@curtin.com>
Subject Re: BooleanQuery
Date Tue, 01 Nov 2005 13:17:43 GMT
tcorbet wrote:

> I have an index over the titles to .mp3 songs.
> It is not unreasonable for the user to want to
> see the results from:  "Show me Everything".
>
> I understand that title:* is not a valid wildcard query.
> I understand that title:[a* TO z*] is a valid wildcard query.
>
> What I cannot understand is this behavior which
> throws no exceptions:
>
> title:[a* TO z*] returns 0 hits.
>
> title [a* TO m*] OR [n* TO z*] returns *almost* the
> correct answer -- one title [of approximately 1200] is missing.
>
> title:[a* TO m*] OR [m* TO z*] correctly returns
> all the available titles.

What I have done in a case like this is short-circuit the search for an
empty query and just read the documents out of the index, in order.
That is, I don't really run a search in this case.  It's only a few
lines of extra code, and you don't have to retrieve every document in
the index until you need them.  Using a workaround query as in your
example causes Lucene to examine every document in the index before
returning you any.  Good luck!

--MDC