lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <mar...@rectangular.com>
Subject Re: Memory Usage
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:05:36 GMT

On Nov 14, 2005, at 9:19 AM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> It would actually not be too hard to change things so that there
> was such a parameter that could be set on an IndexReader.  It would
> determine the fraction of entries in the .tii file that are kept in
> RAM.  So if the parameter were, e.g., 10, then only every tenth
> entry in the .tii file would be kept in RAM, equivalent to 10x the
> indexInterval used.

That has the advantage of providing instant feedback to people like
Daniel who want to experiment.  It seems to me that the ability to
setIndexIntervalMult() (?) at search-time would provide all the
useful benefits of setIndexInterval() at write-time.  There's no
significant disk-space issue involved.  The startup time to fill the
cache isn't worth worrying about, either.

Coincidentally, I'm porting this exact section of TermInfosReader
this morning.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research
http://www.rectangular.com/