lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Marvin Humphrey <>
Subject Re: Memory Usage
Date Mon, 14 Nov 2005 19:05:36 GMT

On Nov 14, 2005, at 9:19 AM, Doug Cutting wrote:

> It would actually not be too hard to change things so that there
> was such a parameter that could be set on an IndexReader.  It would
> determine the fraction of entries in the .tii file that are kept in
> RAM.  So if the parameter were, e.g., 10, then only every tenth
> entry in the .tii file would be kept in RAM, equivalent to 10x the
> indexInterval used.

That has the advantage of providing instant feedback to people like
Daniel who want to experiment.  It seems to me that the ability to
setIndexIntervalMult() (?) at search-time would provide all the
useful benefits of setIndexInterval() at write-time.  There's no
significant disk-space issue involved.  The startup time to fill the
cache isn't worth worrying about, either.

Coincidentally, I'm porting this exact section of TermInfosReader
this morning.

Marvin Humphrey
Rectangular Research

To unsubscribe, e-mail: