lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Victor Lee <victor_email...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Is It a Good Idea to Save Frequently Search Results in Database to Make It Faster?
Date Fri, 25 Nov 2005 03:48:01 GMT
No, I am in the middle of development, actually more like design phase.  So I don't know the
speed of my searches.  The final product will have heavy load on SELECT query if using database
with possibility of joining 2 tables.  I don't worry about speed of searches during light
traffic.  I am worry about what happens during heavy load.

 For a simple example, if I am doing SELECT a, b, c, d FROM mytable WHERE e = hello in a mysql
database.  And if I am doing the same thing in Lucene by search "hello" in index and make
it return a,b,c,d.  And I do all these continuously to simulate heavy load.  Which one is
more likely to have more queries per second?  I think it would be mysql based on what I read
on their benchmarks on the web.  what do you think?

Erik Hatcher <erik@ehatchersolutions.com> wrote: How fast are your searches currently?
 With just a pure
searcher.search(Query) using a basic query type like TermQuery, I
very seriously doubt you'd beat MySQL performance.  What kind of
Query are you using for your searches?

 Erik