lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Victor Lee <victor_email...@yahoo.com>
Subject Is It a Good Idea to Save Frequently Search Results in Database to Make It Faster?
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2005 22:50:42 GMT
 Hi,
   I use Lucene to index stuff that are changed very often but don't need to be real-time
to searchers.  e.g. the search result can be changed couple times per minute, but I only need
to show the change every 5 minutes or so.  Is it a good idea to save the search result to
a database like mysql db, so that searches will load from db directly rather than doing the
same search over and over again?   Then after 5 minutes, the system will do the actual search
again and then save search result to the db for next 3-5 minutes' searches?

 Will it make the server handle heavy load better?   Since most of the access goes into the
database server rather than the webserver with java in backend.   Of course, there will be
more to implement and maintain.

 Many thanks.