lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Monsur Hossain" <mon...@xanga.net>
Subject Sorting: single field vs multiple fields
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:18:33 GMT
Anyone have any ballpark stats about sorting a single field versus sorting
multiple fields?  I understand every implementation is different, but I'm
just trying to get a sense of what to expect before I revamp my index.

We need fairly fine-grained sorting of items, so I have a field with the

YYYYMMDDHHmm

This is too big for an int, so I sort it as a string.  I am debating storing
two integer fields like so:

FIELD #1: YYYYMMDD
FIELD #2: HHmm

And then sorting on field #1 and field #2.  The advantage is that I'm moving
from a string sort to an int sort; the disadvantage is I'm sorting on two
fields instead of one.  The index is about 30 million rows, and performance
is key.  Anyone have any performane numbers or implementation tips?

Thanks!
Monsur