lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Pasha Bizhan" <lucene-l...@lucenedotnet.com>
Subject RE: Lucene or DB?
Date Wed, 02 Nov 2005 22:54:13 GMT
Hi,

> I am looking at Lucene to index and search file metadata -
> filename, size, permissions, mtime, ctime, atime, etc.
>
> I do not need to index and search the contents of the file. I
> was wondering if Lucene is the right choice for such an
> application. This will be at enterprise level so there could
> be millions of files.

Try to start from indexFiles and searchFiles samples to test Lucene
for your needs.

> What are the pros and cons of using Lucene vs a DB like MySQL
> and creating  indexes on it?

Do you need a search? What is your typical search query?
What are you going to do with the results of the search?
How are you going to use it? Also, what is your hardware
requirements? Do you already have a db administrator?
And etc..

Pasha Bizhan