lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Karl Koch" <TheRan...@gmx.net>
Subject About searching in multiple fields with one query
Date Sun, 13 Nov 2005 22:29:24 GMT
Hello all,

I have a question about searching within multiple fields. I have the
following code for doing that (searchFields provides two fields in which I
want to search):

IndexSearcher searcher = new IndexSearcher(indexDirectory);
// search over multiple index fields
Query query = MultiFieldQueryParser.parse(queryString, searchFields,
analyser);
hits = searcher.search(query);

I am wondering how this is done internally (I am using Lucene 1.2). Does
Lucene 1.2 merge the terms of the two fields and create a single score from
this? Or does Lucene 1.2 create a score from each field that is involved and
then calculate a combined score from all those?

Karl