lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Aigner, Thomas" <TAig...@WescoDist.com>
Subject Optimize vs non optimized index
Date Wed, 16 Nov 2005 19:22:45 GMT
Howdy all, have a quick question for you...

I am seeing quite a difference between optimized index and one that is
not optimized.  I have read a few papers that say that it shouldn't
matter, but I am seeing 7X speed or better when the index is optimized.
Is it possible that I am creating the original index incorrectly?

The reason why I am asking it due to the space it takes to optimize an
index.  I have an index that takes up about 2.5G, but when I optimize
it, it will take an additional 5G of space to do this (so 7.5G to
optimize it).  I was wondering if perhaps if this is the norm or not.

Thanks ahead of time,
Tom