lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <>
Subject Re: case-sensitive search
Date Thu, 17 Nov 2005 14:38:44 GMT

On 17 Nov 2005, at 04:27, jibu mathew wrote:
> Is it possible to do both case-sensitive and non case-sensitive search
> on already indexed documents? If not, is there any way to implement it
> without making two indexes for each case? Please help me in this
> regard.

On already indexed documents?  No.  You likely used an analyzer that
lowercased every term.

I support case-sensitive/insensitive searching by building two
indexes, one with case as-is, another with everything lowercased.

Another option is to index the same text into two fields, one as-is,
one lowercased, and toggle which field you search at query time.

Either way, you'll need to re-index in some way.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message