lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Dan Funk <daniel.h.f...@gmail.com>
Subject Folksonomies
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2005 15:43:45 GMT
I've been reading about Folksonomies (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folksonomy), and I would like to incorporate
them into a project I'm developing with Lucene.

The concept is pretty simple, a targeted community of users add labels of
their choosing (just off the top of their head, not from a list) to
documents (or sections of documents) as a way of bookmarking them for later
reference. I'll most likely keep the information in a derby database to
begin with, and use it as personalization feature. It's not my idea, I think
it originated with del.icio.us <http://del.icio.us>.

In the long run however, all those labels should be pretty cool to play
around with - it would be extremely interesting to write tools for analyzing
what labels ended up where, which occur really often, etc ... and use this
information to create a mutating browse feature. Identify oft-used terms and
create categories, or possibly even hierarchies of topics.

Is anyone out there incorporating folksonomies into their lucene indexes,
and if so, how are you going about it, and is proving useful?