lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From adasal <adam.salt...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Regarding Lucene and LSI
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2005 13:20:51 GMT
There are LSI and LSI like implementations in open source, but I am unsure
what the state of play is in Java. The most interesting work I know of is in
Perl available (cvs permitting) from
NITLE.<http://www.nitle.org/tools/semantic/search.htm>
What I would like to see is an implementation of Magnus Sahlgren, *Random
Indexing *which is described as "a very simple and effective approach to
automatic [which can also be used for] bilingual lexicon acquisition. The
approach is cooccurrence-based, and uses the Random Indexing vector space
methodology applied to aligned bilingual data. The approach is simple,
efficient and scalable, and generate promising results when compared to a
manually compiled lexicon." The point here is its scalability since
implementations of LSI are inefficient when documents are removed from the
collection. It seems to me that it is also less computationalyy intensive,
and should be possible to implement quite simply in Java. Does anyone know
of such an attempt?
Adam