lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "J. David Boyd" <da...@adboyd.com>
Subject Re: Lucene and remote index and java applet, with no java app server
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 15:56:17 GMT
Dan Armbrust wrote:
> J. David Boyd wrote:
>
>> Here's my dilemma.
>>
>> For years, we have supplied paper documentation to our customers.  Many
>> pages of paper.  All together, it makes a 3 foot stack when printed.
>>
>> Also for many years, customers have been asking for docs in electronic
>> format, so, recently, I wrote some Perl scripts that convert our many
>> legacy word perfect files into PDF format. (I shouldn't really call them
>> legacy, as that is still what the documentation author writes in.)
>>
>> We generate some HTML pages as a wrapper, that break the 543 PDF files
>> into different modules, and this gets placed on a section of our web
>> site.
>>
>> The users can see the Module they want, and then grab an appropriate PDF
>> for that module, and view it in their browser.
>>
>> Unfortunately, the names are things like MOD00_TBLS_FRMX.pgm.pdf,
>> PGR254.S1.T33.pgm.pdf, etc. This is _somewhat_ transparent to we
>> developers, but certainly doesn't make it easy for the end users to find
>> the appropriate section of documentation that they want
>>
>> I would like to implement a search facility using Lucene, but I'm not
>> sure of a few things.
>>
>> Given that I can generate the index here, at the same time I convert any
>> changed WP files to PDF, and upload it to our web site, what then do I
>> do with it.
>>
>> I don't see, from my interrupted attempts at perusing the Lucene docs,
>> any functions for a Java applet to access an index that is on a remote
>> site.  We have no extra utilities available, such as a Java app server
>> to run the search using RMI (I think I've read the Lucene docs enough to
>> use the buzzword correctly. :-> )
>>
>> It seems that I am going to have to write an applet that will download
>> the index (2M, 1M zipped) to a users local hard drive, then use that
>> index to find the appropriate PDF file, then download the PDF file, and
>> start it in the users browser.
>>
>> I'm assuming a signed applet, since as far as I can tell from my
>> reading, an unsigned applet won't let any write, or reads, to the local
>> hard drive occur.
>>
>> Does this sound feasible?
>>
>> Would I be better off using Java app, and lava web start, to download a
>> jarred index, and take it from there?
>>
>> I'm fishing for feasibility ideas right now, and any help will be
>> greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Dave @ TSC in Palm Harbor, FL

> Why don't you just integrate the Lucene index into your website - So the
> users just do a search on a page on your website - this executes the
> Lucene search on your web server, presents the results, and then they
> click the link for the PDF that they want.
>
> I don't see any reason to take the index to the client here.
>
> Dan

I see your words, but I hate to admit that I don't understand them in
totality!

When you say that the search is executed on the web server, that means
that we would need to code it it Perl or some such, no?

I don't see (except for a Perl or PHP script) how the search could
execute on the website itself.  Or is this what you are, indeed, suggesting?

I've been thinking of 'Java, Java, Java' only, but this does seem like a
valid idea.

So, I can build the index with Java locally, and then 'cgi' it on the
server side.

Am I getting this right?  :->

Thanks,

Dave