lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Robert Watkins <rwatk...@foo-bar.org>
Subject [ off topic ] stnadard for field: suffix or prefix?
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2005 10:37:26 GMT
Yes, I know this is off topic, but I also know that some of the most
experienced people in information retrieval monitor this list, so I
thought it worth the risk to get flamed.

A spec just came to my desk to develop a search application -- using
Lucene -- with field names as a suffix to the search term(s) instead of
as a prefix (e.g. term:field1,field2). Given that Lucene uses the field
as a prefix I had thought this to be more or less standard. So: is there
any sort of standard in the field of search, or is it purely an
application-specific design decision?

-- Robert