lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Robert Watkins <rwatk...@foo-bar.org>
Subject wildcards within a phrase query
Date Tue, 11 Oct 2005 13:32:26 GMT
I've been trying to figure out the best way to support queries of the ilk:

   "going to he* in a hand-basket"

such that it's almost a PhraseQuery, except that the third term (in this
case) is a PrefixQuery.

The only idea that comes to mind is to try to combine a PhraseQuery and
a PrefixQuery (or, in other situations, a WildcardQuery) using relative
positional parameters. The idea being that one would combine a PhraseQuery
for:

   "going to [gap] in a hand-basket"

with a PrefixQuery for:

   "he"

such that the position of the Term used in the PrefixQuery fits into the
slot left by the [gap] of the PhraseQuery.

Does that sound like I'm on the right track?

-- Robert