lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: trying to boost a phrase higher than its individual words
Date Sat, 29 Oct 2005 00:17:07 GMT

: Okay, I looked at the explanations and realized part of the problem
: was that I was applying a sort field to the search results, which I

that would definitely cause the boosts to be un-useful :)

: But I also do need to do some tuning, because I'm adding other stuff
: to the query that is also skewing the ranking.

One thing to keep in mind is that if you have things you are adding to hte
query to restrict the results, but you don't want them to contribute to
the score, then try using a Filter instead.  If you can't find an easy way
to replace a query by a filter, try using a boost of 0.0001 ( i'd say use
a boost of 0, but I'm not sure that all query types handle that as
correctly as they should)

: It took me a while to figure out the differences between the
: searcher.explain() example in LIA and the latest changes to the API.
: It was a little annoying that I couldn't find a way to get plain text

Really? .. the LIA example i found was in 3.3.1, it just printed out
explanation.toString() ... that should still work just fine even with the
trunk of SVN.

-Hoss