lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject RE: delete unnecessary files after optimize()
Date Sun, 16 Oct 2005 06:42:16 GMT

: > How can I get a list of unnecessary files to delete them?
:
: I can get such information from deletable file under Win32 environment,
: correct?

I've never used Lucene on windows, but if I recall correctly from past
discussions on this topic, the IndexWriter will try to delete any file
listed in deletable whenever it does any segment merging (ie: after adding
some number of documents, when you call .optimize(), or when you call
.close().

the only reason those files won't be deleted is if some IndexReader has
them open -- in which cas you won't be able to delete them either, so
don't worry about it.  The safest thing to do is make sure you
periodically reopen new IndexReaders, and if you're really in a hurry to
get rid of those files, periodically open/close a new IndexWriter too
(even if you don't need one) ... that should cause it to try to delete the
files again.