lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject RE: Is Lucene right for me?
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 21:56:03 GMT

: I am not sure if I understand the BitSet solution though. Can you give me
: implementation specifics around that?
: Are you suggesting storing BitSet information in the document of each
: cat/subcat and that the boolean value of each bit will correspond to whether
: the product is blocked or not? In other words, each bit will correspond to
: one product within that cat/subcat?

I'm suggesting that once you've identified the set of filters associated
with each contract, you use those filters to generate (and cache) a BitSet
that represents every product in your entire catalog that people from that
company are eligible to see -- one bit == one document.

The Filter class facilitates this very easily, and even abstracts it away
so you never really need to look at hte BitSets unless you really want to.

Imagine that you can represent all of your contractual rules as a list of
queries, such that users of a company are only allowed to see products
that match one "allow" clauses in the contract, provided they don't match
any of the "disallow" clauses.  Where clauses might be common among many
contracts. now imagine that these clauses can be represented as simple
Lucene QueryParser parsable strings...

     category:desks
     price:[0000.00 TO 1000.00]
     ship_allowed_states:CA
     mfgr:Avery
     +mfgr:Canon +(category:printer category:toner)
     sku:456-upt-90

...A filter can be made for each of those clauses useing a QueryFilter,
and those filters can be cached using a CachingWrapperFilter, and each of
those cached filters can be composed into a single Filter for each
contract using ChainedFilter(s)  (see the sandbox/contrib area) ... giving
you a single Filter object to use when anyone from any company wants to
search/browse your catalog.

-Hoss