lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Threads locking around getFSDirectory
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2005 22:22:46 GMT

: How many IndexSearchers do people usually use in their applications?
: - In previous lucene versions, we found we had better concurrency using
: multiple IndexSearchers
: - Our current app uses an separate IndexSearcher for each thread (as needed)
: from a pool

In my experience, one "live" searcher is allways plenty, with an "on-deck"
searcher that is opened and used to warm up FieldCaches and filehandles
before being swaped over to replce the "live" searcher when updates have
been made.

: using the java nio package.... NioFSDirectory that offered better
: concurrency (
: http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-java-dev/200505.mbox/%3C4295F65B.8030100@apache.org%3E).
: We haven't found this in the lucene repository... where or is this available
: for use?

I think this is what you are looking for, but i'm not familiar with it at
all...

-Hoss