lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Chris Hostetter <hossman_luc...@fucit.org>
Subject Re: Indexing-Searching Design
Date Tue, 04 Oct 2005 17:30:07 GMT

: The primary indexer (daemon) recieves the documents to be indexed. It
: dispatches the documents to one of the secondary indexer nodes (via load
: balancing). These indexing nodes index the documents in the RAMDirectory,
: periodically writing it to a local index in the filesystem.

I'm not certain, but unless your analysis is extremely intensive, I can't
think of any advantage in having the secondary indexer nodes.  I believe
your central server is going to do roughly the same ammount of work
merging those smaller indexes in as it would if the documents were added
directly.

I could be wrong however, I haven't really looked that closely at the
internals of addIndex.

-Hoss