lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Olena Medelyan <>
Subject Re: How Fast is MemoryIndex? How Much Resource Does It Use?
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2005 08:37:09 GMT
Hi Sam,

to do such matching you first of all need something that keeps semantic
information about words: e.g. a thesaurus, where "red", "blue" and "black"
are all grouped under the same term "colour". Otherwise, how will
your system know that "nike red shoes" should match to "nike shoes -black" and not to
"nike shoes -"anything else"?
You would also need rules that define that only certain terms are to
be replaced with alternatives. Otherwise, your query can be mapped to X
alternatives like:
"-adidas red shoes", "nike red -pants" ...