lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Andy Lee <ag...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: trying to boost a phrase higher than its individual words
Date Sat, 29 Oct 2005 02:31:06 GMT
On Oct 28, 2005, at 8:17 PM, Chris Hostetter wrote:
> One thing to keep in mind is that if you have things you are adding
> to hte
> query to restrict the results, but you don't want them to
> contribute to
> the score, then try using a Filter instead.  If you can't find an
> easy way
> to replace a query by a filter, try using a boost of 0.0001 ( i'd
> say use
> a boost of 0, but I'm not sure that all query types handle that as
> correctly as they should)

Thanks for the advice.  I hadn't even noticed the Filter classes
until very recently.  I really need to take the time to work
methodically through LIA...

> Really? .. the LIA example i found was in 3.3.1, it just printed out
> explanation.toString() ... that should still work just fine even
> with the
> trunk of SVN.

You know what, I was confusing Nutch and Lucene classes (as I've done
before), in this case the IndexSearcher classes.  All I could find
was the *Nutch* IndexSearcher's getExplanation() method, which I see
sends toHtml() rather than toString() to its internal Lucene
IndexSearcher.

--Andy