lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: MaxFieldLength or MaxFields?
Date Wed, 26 Oct 2005 10:23:00 GMT

On 26 Oct 2005, at 02:50, Jeff Rodenburg wrote:
> I'm considering building out an index that will flatten a data
> structure,
> such that some Document "A" will have Fields 1,2 and 3.
> Fields 1 and 2 are indexed/tokenized field. Field 3 is indexed, and
> will
> contain many discrete values (up to possibly 5000).

> Couple of questions:
> 1. Does the DEFAULT_MAX_FIELD_LENGTH on IndexWriter come into play
> for Field
> 3? Field 3 values are added to the document individually, there's
> just a
> bunch of them.

No.  The max field length only comes into play for tokenized
(analyzed) fields.

> 2. Is MaxFieldLength a consideration for this?

The default is 10,000, so you're safe :)

 From IndexWriter.java:
   public final static int DEFAULT_MAX_FIELD_LENGTH = 10000;

> Any guidance before I go through the trouble of building the index
> would be
> greatly appreciated.

Never be afraid to just try out things.  It's easy enough to whip up
a simple Java program of only a few lines that would exercise this
sort of thing.  A simple for loop adding 5000 identically named non-
tokenized, indexed fields to a document would prove this to yourself.

And now with Ferret - http://ferret.davebalmain.com/trac/ - the fun
and lightweight nature of Ruby will allow us to experiment with
Lucene without even compilation (or suffering Python syntax :).

     Erik