lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: IndexSearcher in servlet containers
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2005 17:34:01 GMT

On Oct 5, 2005, at 9:54 AM, Cyril Barlow wrote:
> Thanks all for your feedback. I'm going to look at building a
> dedicated
> server that keeps one IndexSearcher open and each servlet would use
> that.
> Either that or look deeper into the Jetty framework to see if I can
> simply
> invoke a global IndexSearcher when the server starts and use that.
> Not quite
> sure how. Luc, DelayCloseIndexSearcher looks like something that
> might be of
> help - I'll have a look at that as well.

I'm really confused on the dilemma here.

You can create a startup hook using one of the Servlet specification
listeners, create an IndexSearcher there, stuff it into application
scope (context.setAttribute()).

There is no digging into Jetty's guts needed, just plain and simple
servlet API will suffice.

Of course you'll also want a facility to re-instantiate the
IndexSearcher if the index is changing, but that is just building
upon the pieces I just described.

     Erik