lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From msftbl...@aol.com
Subject Java Indexer + DotLucene + IIS question
Date Mon, 31 Oct 2005 19:27:41 GMT
Hey-

I have the following situation, and I am looking for any suggestions...

First, here is my current configuration:

1. Java Indexer (windows service) created to index data from a SQL Server database...3 indexes
are created

2. DotLucene is used on the front-end to search my index files...which means I am running
on Windows Server 2003 and IIS 6.0 ( sorry guys :-P )

3. The index location(s) are read from a config file

4. I am currently running this site on one webserver (not a farm)

The problem is that I am moving to a webfarm shortly...and I am trying to figure out a way
to replicate the index(s) that I am creating. The indexer indexes based off a bit field in
the database, and a seperate thread runs in the background to optimize the index(s).

Possible Solutions:

1. If I use so me built-in replication or some other third party solution across the servers
I think (tell me if I am wrong please) I may have an issue since the indexer compresses and
writes and something may go wrong...

2. If I use a shared drive (UNC) to another clustered machine (not one of the webservers),
I need to open ports for IIS and the worker process to talk to it...not a good idea

3. If I store on one web-server and have a shared drive from all other webservers to that
one webserver, then I have a problem if that one webserver goes down for aby reason

4. I don't want to store the indexes in a database

5. I can get a Index Server to use (like a state server)...but I would rather not spend the
money :-)

6. I can use some remoting solution to bypass the UNC idea...but this requires a coding change
(not a problem if this is the best solution)

What I am looking for is someone who knows of the best solution...or if someone implemented
something different than the above.

Thanks!
-Joe