lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From jian chen <chenjian1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: trying to boost a phrase higher than its individual words
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2005 03:04:56 GMT
Hi,

It seems what you want to achieve could be implemented using the Cover
Density algorithm. I am not sure if any existing query classes in the Lucene
distribution does this already. But in case not, this is what I am think
about:

Make a custom query class, called CoverDensityQuery, which is modeled after
PhraseQuery.

The CoverDensityQuery could accept two arguments as its constructor, the
Terms and the numOfTermsMatched.

For example, to search for "classical music", you will first construct
CoverDensityQuery like:
new CoverDensityQuery(new String[]{"classical", "music"}, 2);

This should return all documents that contain both "classical" and "music".
The ranking will be based on covers, each cover is a span with the two terms
at each end. The shorter the cover, the higher the rank, the more the
covers, the higher the rank.

If the returned documents are not enough, then, do another query like:
new CoverDensityQuery(new String[]{"classical", "music"}, 1);

This should return documents either containing "classical" or "music", but
not both.

The detailed algorithm will be constructed similar to PhraseQuery.

I will write such a query class in the future, just as a proof of concept
for cover density algorithm.

Cheers,

Jian