lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: What is a Hits object?
Date Thu, 06 Oct 2005 16:22:19 GMT

On Oct 6, 2005, at 11:28 AM, Cyril Barlow wrote:
> How long does the Hits object stay in memory for?

As long as you keep it around.  Lucene isn't responsible for keeping
a reference to it, your application is.

> Until the IndexSearcher closes? And if you just use 1 IndexSearcher
> would there be a big collection
> of Hits in memory?

See above.  You're entirely in charge of the Hits object being kept
around, or not.

Since you're obviously in a servlet environment, you probably will
want to implement some sort of paging through Hits.  One option is to
simply throw Hits away after every request and re-search for every
page.  That works well enough in every case I've encountered that I
haven't used the alternative of keeping Hits around across requests.

     Erik