lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: partial reindex
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2005 11:03:45 GMT

On Oct 5, 2005, at 4:01 AM, Eugeny N Dzhurinsky wrote:
> Is it possible somehow to change some partial fields in indexed
> documents
> without reindexing all documents?

No, not with Lucene 1.4.3.  But the Subversion trunk has a feature
that can facilitate this sort of thing by building two indexes, one
with the data and one with the security information.  Look at
ParallelReader and it's javadocs.

> The thing is we have set of "searchable" documents and set of access
> privileges (which builds the tree-like structure, i'e access
> privileges could be
> inherited from parent node) for these documents. I was supposed to
> provide
> some "keyword" when indexing documents, which keyword will be
> "flatten" rights,
> i'e privileges merged from parent nodes (if required), in the same
> way as it is
> described in the Lucene in action book appendix (SecurityFilterTest).

However, for data like permissions, ACL's, groups, etc, it may be
better to keep the information where it originally resides and have a
Filter that accesses the external data.  It would likely be easier
and quicker to re-instantiate Filter's than to rebuild a security
index and less duplication.

     Erik