lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Erik Hatcher <e...@ehatchersolutions.com>
Subject Re: partial reindex
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2005 13:21:46 GMT

On Oct 5, 2005, at 8:56 AM, Eugeny N Dzhurinsky wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 05, 2005 at 08:38:21AM -0400, Erik Hatcher wrote:
>
>>> But could Lucene mix up 2 indexes in single query?
>>>
>> Using ParallelReader - yes.  Read the javadocs to learn more.
>>

> May be MultiReader? I didn't find ParallelReader in my API docs for
> Lucene
> 1.4.3.

*arg* :)  As I said in my original message... ParallelReader is in
Subversion trunk.  It does not exist in a released version of Lucene
yet.  It will be part of 1.9.  The trunk of Subversion is quite
stable - feel free to build Lucene from there and use it.

> let's say we have index of documents, each document has it's own
> unique ID.
> and we have another index of ACLs for each document. Is it possible
> to use
> some kind of "join" for the document index and for the ACL index,
> and create
> search query, which will instantly validate the ACL for document,
> using UID
> key in both document index and acl index?

This is basically what ParallelReader does - joins two parallel
indexes that line up _exactly_ in document insertion order.

> I'm just trying to avoid post-filtering at all.

One strong recommendation I make regarding Lucene (and coding in
general): don't pre-suppose things about performance.  Implement the
solution in the cleanest most logical way, try it, and if there are
issues, then tune.

> P.S. Really useful book, I like it.

Thank you!

     Erik