lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Jeff Rodenburg <jeff.rodenb...@gmail.com>
Subject Improving sort performance
Date Sat, 22 Oct 2005 16:43:46 GMT
I have a custom sort that completes calculations on-the-fly, similar to the
LIA distance sort. SortField type is Float. It works, but I need better
performance. I'm wondering if there's a better way to do this.

As a rule, the number of results returned in a given search will most often
be a fraction of the total documents in the search indexes. For example,
1000 results would be a rather large result set for what I'm expecting. The
aggregate index document count is in the range of 20 million.

The standard process of looping through the TermDocs from readers for the
aggregate index seems wasteful in this scenario, given the relative number
of results to the overall size of the index. What are my options here?

Thanks
jeff