lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From "Daan de Wit" <d.de....@wis.nl>
Subject RE: Lucene Security Advice
Date Wed, 05 Oct 2005 18:46:45 GMT
Hi Steve,

I think you can best split up the document into separate fields, and
then use FilteredQueries to search. The QueryFilter (which does not
effect scoring) can be built using a BooleanQuery with the sections the
user can search on as optional Terms

Regards,
Daan

-----Original Message-----
From: Steven Thompson [mailto:steven.m.thompson@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 05, 2005 20:04
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Lucene Security Advice

The simple scenario is this:
 One large text document with three sections
 Section A
Section B
Section C
 Three user groups:
 User Group X
User Group Y
User Group Z
 I want to provide security to the various sections of the document to
certain groups of users. For example, User Group X can only search on
Section A, and User Group Y can search on Section A and Section B.
 We have considered various scenarios such as partitioning the document
into
separate fields or even having separate repositories, but we then get
hung
up on search syntax.
 In searching the archives and reading the LIA book I see examples of
document-level security, but this almost seems to be a different
security
problem. I'm not necessarily looking for the perfect solution, but
rather
different approaches that we can look at.
 -Steve Thompson