lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Tobias L├╝tticke <t.luetti...@inovex.de>
Subject Usage RAMDirectory
Date Fri, 28 Oct 2005 13:45:46 GMT
Hi,

for the last days I had the thought lingering in my mind that somehow I had to use the
RAMDirectory. I have a production system with plenty of memory so that would be nice.
However, it's a update-happy application and the index needs to be persistent (meaning
FSDirectory).

Therefore I came up with the idea to use both - RAM and FSDirectory. I plan to read the
index into RAMDirectory for search purposes and in case of write access just update the
RAMDirectory as well as the FSDirectory.
Then I have both, persistent storage and fast read access. The double update should be
bearable since the in-memory update is fast. Moreover, the users are willing to accept a
delay when writing rather upon reading.

Has anybody ever tried this? Are there downsides or do I miss anything? I imagine I could

hardly be the first to try this...

I would be happy if someone has experiences to share.

Cheers
   Tobias