lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Rob Young <bubble...@gmail.com>
Subject Funny results with Fuzzy
Date Tue, 25 Oct 2005 10:16:08 GMT
Hi,

I've just set up a system with lucene to search our product database. I
want to have fuzzy searching to help the many seemingly illiterate users
I have. Just testing this out and the results are proving a little funny.

If I search for the term klyie (hoping for kylie to be almost
exclusively returned) I get the film Alfie at the top of the list. Now,
I can see that this is the same number of substitutions as kylie is from
klyie (2) but surely fuzzy should notice that kylie and klyie have
exactly the same set of letters while alfie does not. Is there any way
to factor this (and possibly other things) into the fuzzy search? If so,
does anyone know of any pre-done fuzzy search algorithms which may be
more helpfull than the default one, and how I may install them?

Thanks
Rob