lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject lucene and databases
Date Mon, 24 Oct 2005 17:30:25 GMT
Thanks to Yonik for replying to my last question about queries and filters.

Now I have another issue. I would appreciate any pointers to attempts to
integrate Lucene with databases. There's a tantalizing reference to a
class called JDBCDirectory mentioned at
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta-lucene/LatestNews. However, my browser
times out trying to access the follow-up link
http://ppinew.mnis.com/jdbcdirectory. An email thread
(http://www.mail-archive.com/java-user@lucene.apache.org/msg01036.html)
makes me hope that this class helps an application index a body of
documents stored in a relational database. But this class, perhaps a
cousin of FSDirectory and RAMDirectory, doesn't seem to be part of
Lucene proper.

In any event, I would appreciate pointers to people's experience
integrating Lucene with relational databases. I realize this is a very
broad question. It sweeps up topics like the following:

o Indexing content that is stored in a dbms

o Wrapping filters around the results of sql queries

o Integrating Lucene query syntax with sql query syntax

o Practical tips about when to expose information as a Lucene field vs.
when to expose that  information as a column in a relational table

Thanks,
-Rick