lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Harini Raghavan <harini.ragha...@insideview.com>
Subject Re: Lucene search is very slow
Date Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:15:10 GMT
Hi Chris,
I am initializing IndexSearcher every time the  search is executed.  The
below is the search related code that is in a singleton class:

public Hits searchDocuments(DocumentSearchCriteria searchCriteria, List
companies) throws ApplicationException {
        Hits hits = null;
        String indexLoc = luceneConfig.getIndexDir();
        Directory fsDir = getIndexDirectory(indexLoc, false);
        IndexSearcher searcher = null;
        try {
             searcher = new IndexSearcher(dir);
        } catch(IOException ex) {
            logger.error("Exception occurred while getting the
IndexSearcher.",ex);
            throw new ApplicationException(ex);
        }

        Query query = indexSearchUtil.getSearchQuery(searchCriteria,
companies);

        SortField dateField = new
SortField(IndexSearchConstants.DATE_FOR_SORTING, true);
        SortField companyNameField = new
SortField(IndexSearchConstants.COMPANY_NAME_FOR_SORTING, false);
        SortField titleField = new
SortField(IndexSearchConstants.TITLE_FOR_SORTING, false);

        SortField[] sortFields = {dateField, companyNameField, titleField};
        try {
            hits = searcher.search(query, new Sort(sortFields));
            logger.info("Found " + hits.length() + " document(s) that
matched query '" + query + "':");
        } catch(Exception e) {
            logger.error("Exception occurred in searchDocuments()", e);
            throw new ApplicationException(e);
        }
        return hits;
    }

I do not close the IndexSearcher anywhere. Do you think I should not
create a new instance of IndexSearcher every time? Also, the index gets
updated every day with the latest document. So will the IndexSearcher
get the latest documents if I do not initialize it every time the search
is executed?

-Harini