lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Sean O'Connor <s...@oconeco.com>
Subject SpanQuery parser?
Date Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:40:25 GMT
Hello,
    I have user entered search commands which I want to convert to
SpanQueries. I have seen in the book "Lucene in Action" that no parser
existed at time of publication, but there was someone working on a
SpanQuery parser. Can anyone point me to that code, or provide any
suggestions?

    I want to use SpanQueries for their detail on the number of hits
from a query, and more importantly, the location (position start and
end) of each hit. My application requires me to do precise hit
highlighting.  I also need to perform calculations on the number of hits
per document, as well as per query (sum of document hits).

    It is fairly critical I highlight the hits, and only the hits. From
what I've read SpanQueries (with dumpSpans) is a better approach than
using 'regular' queries. I _think_ regular queries currently use a
highlighter which shows all terms highlighted. This can give more
highlighting than actual hits (i.e false positives).

    So, that being said, should I stick with SpanQueries? Is there any
current work on a parser to convert a string, or regular (Token,
Boolean, Phrase, Prefix,...) query into a SpanQuery?

    I have written some very duct tape-ish code which will convert basic
booleanOR and prefix queries into SpanQueries. I just realized I'm in
deeper water than I expected when I tried converting my first query
string containing several boolean queries, AND a phrase query. So now I
am looking to either help an existing effort, or just continue with my
own hacking.
Thanks,

Sean
ps: some of this message is repeated from previous postings just as
background for my goal.