lucene-java-user mailing list archives

From Marc Hadfield <m...@animarc.com>
Subject query across fields?
Date Mon, 10 Oct 2005 20:35:42 GMT
hello -

i am looking to perform queries efficiently across multiple fields that
have their token order synchronized, ie:

Field_A[100] has some relationship to Field_B[100]

for example, consider two fields, one the full text of an article and
the other the "type" of the token where type could be  from { person,
company, date, ... }

So that for a Document:
Field_A : "Fred Johnson worked for Johnson and Johnson in 2001"
Field_B : "name name other other company company company other date"

and we wish to perform a query:
Field_A:"Johnson" AND Field_B:"name"
which would be true for token number 2 but not for 5 and 7

I think Span Queries could be adapted to this purpose, but I wanted to
get any thoughts from the list.

I would prefer not to mix the full text and "types" in the same field as
it would make the term positions inconsistent which i depend on for
other queries.

In principle I could store the full text in two fields with the second
field containing the types without incrementing the token index.   Then,
do a SpanQuery for "Johnson" and "name" with a distance of 0.  The
resulting match would have a token position which would refer back to
the matching position in the first field.  I don't know if this is a
really good idea.

Any thoughts?

---Marc Hadfield